Gibson Senior Center Services
Serving over 3500 seniors monthly, the George M. Gibson Senior Center is not only the spot for a nutritious lumch five days a week, but it's also a hub of acitivity for those 50 years and older in the community.
Those visitng the Center will find an environment that encourages adults to leave their house and interact with others who enjoy similar intersts in a warm and welcoming setting.
With over 40 classes and activities taking place weekly, with over half of those being free, it's the perfect place to spend the day. From belly dance classes to men’s poker, computer workshops to billiard tournaments, ping pong to yoga, with a variety of classes in between, the Gibson Senior Center goes out of its way to keep seniors active both mentally and physically. If it’s not classes or activities you’re interested in, perhaps one of the different clubs that meet at the Center is more your cup of tea. Fun After 50 is sure to keep you busy with their monthly casino trips, potlucks or weekly bingo games. AARP may be more your style with their monthly guest lectures and potlucks.
The Gibson Center hosts free monthly health lectures with community doctors, free non-invasive medical screenings, free AARP Tax-Aide, AARP 55 Alive Driver Safety courses, a free Fall flu shot clinic and wellness faire, non-biased medical insurance counseling and a multitude of services at little to no cost to seniors.
No matter what your interest, the Gibson Senior Center has something for everyone. For more information, please contact the Gibson Senior Center at (909) 981-4501.
**COVID-19: City Facilities & Activities Temporary Closures/Cancellations**
The City of Upland continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), in consultation with San Bernardino County Public Health Officials and other local partners. This situation is fluid and staff are monitoring every necessary precaution and health-related recommendation to ensure the welfare of the community, especially those most vulnerable, and our employees as well. The health risk from COVID-19 to the general public in Upland and San Bernardino County remains low at this time. Please also visit City of Upland's Emergency Preparedness page for additional information and links. There is extraordinary caution being taken at all our public facilities, including increased awareness to cleaning, limiting numbers of people, encouraging appropriate hand washing, and social distancing. City staff is working closely with the San Bernardino County Emergency Operations Center and San Bernardino Department of County Health. We are taking steps to protect the public by suspending programs in accordance with the guidance procedures.
Over the next few days we will be regularly updating this page to keep you informed of impacts to events, services and programs. Unless noted, all other services, rentals, and activities are still scheduled as previously planned. We are continuing to monitor all rentals, park usage, off-site classes. Please note that changes to facility usage, classes or other services may occur at any given time so please check back frequently.
**ALL registrations, including classes, rentals, events, and programs cannot be accepted
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.**
GEORGE M. GIBSON SENIOR CENTER & SENIOR SERVICES:
- The Gibson Senior Center is closed for all recreation programs until further notice.
- All senior-focused recreational programs, activities and events are cancelled until further notice.
- ON-SITE Congregate Nutrition Meal Service for our seniors is cancelled and has been transitioned to a distributed meal program. Prepared, frozen meal packages will be available at the Gibson Center for Nutrition Program participants weekly ONLY ON Wednesdays between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Participants will receive five (5) frozen meals, milk, bread and fruit. Meal packages are limited to one package per customer, per week. The weekly meal package distribution will continue until the COVID-19 emergency is lifted.
If you have questions or are in need of resources, please contact the Gibson Senior Center at (909) 981-4501, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- All recreational programs, activities, and classes are cancelled until further notice.
- Gibson Senior Center special events are cancelled until further notice.
PARKS, BUILDINGS & FACILITIES:
- ALL park, facility, and sports field rentals are cancelled until further notice.
- Basketball courts are now open; please continue adhering to safety protocols while enjoying this amenity. City parks remain closed for shelter reservations and social gatherings. Other than basketball courts, park amenities remain closed.
- City trails are currently open.
- Upland Memorial Skate Park is open. Summer hours of operation: Monday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. Please adhere to all posted signage and rules.
- Baldy View Dog Park remains open. Please adhere to all posted signage and rules.
- **Please remember to follow all physical distancing guidelines at all times.**
TRIPS & TOURS:
- All trips & tours are cancelled through August 1st.
VIC's PLACE TUTORING & AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM:
- In conjunction with the Upland School District school closures, VIC’s Place Tutoring & Afterschool Program has been suspended effective March 16 through the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
- All passport services have been suspended indefinitely. For additional information on passports, please visit Passport Services.
If you are inquiring about the status of an upcoming class, activity, rental of park, facility, or field usage, please contact Upland Recreation and Community Services at (909) 931-4280, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
City of Upland Virtual Recreation & Resource Center
Our physical doors may be closed, but we're still here for you to provide your family with Recreation services, including fun-filled activities for all ages, virtual adventures, and helpful information for seniors.
Please visit use at City of Upland Virtual Recreation & Resource Center.
Gibson Helpful Handbook For Seniors
The Gibson Senior Center Staff would like to express that you are all in our thoughts. Even though our Senior Center is closed to the public, staff remains on-site, working Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. to take calls and to answer any questions.
Gibson Senior Center staff has put together the Gibson Helpful Handbook For Seniors, providing a list of helpful phone numbers & resources, encouraging words, and a word search puzzle. This information is provided from us, to you, to help you get through these unsettled times.